Gamestop May Refuse to Stock Next-Gen Consoles
In light of the recent rumors flying around the interwebs about the newest gaming consoles, some people are upset about some of the details. The news has revealed that the next gen XBox and Playstation consoles will include features that prohibit the use of previously played games. This is clearly a protection being pushed forward by publishers, but it creates a threat to gaming retailers, the most prevalent being Gamestop.
Some analysts believe it would be a bad move by the gaming industries to throw big retailers like Gamestop under the bus. They believe it will “turn off the core consumers that rush to trade in their old product to buy new product” gamesindustry. Beside angering their core market, Gamestop, or other retailers would likely refuse to hold next gen consoles, severely injuring Sony and Microsoft.
The issue can’t be denied, however, that major gaming industries are fighting against the used gaming market even now. The introduction of the online pass and DLC are current measures used to counteract the loss of market caused by the used game vein. Gamestop has made some announcements about the next gen used game situation, but aren’t too worried about the actual application of anti-used game technology.
- End Credits: How to Sell the PS4
- End Credits 1.17.13 – Righteous Anger, Rumors Spelled With Two U’s, Redundant Matheson
- End Credits 1.14.13 – Melrose Burnings, New Console Rumors & NRA Video Game
- Skype App Available on the PS Vita
- IMHO: Pass It On
- The Next Gen Console: A Double-Edged Sword
- Why I Don’t Play Wii – Trophies and Achievements in Gaming
- Playstation “Orbis” Details Emerge
- Durango Won’t Be Announced At E3
- New Xbox Will NOT Attend E3